Throat infection which is also known as sore throat is usually accompanied by the painor irritation of the throat and produces difficulty while swallowing. According to ENT Doctors in Delhi, the most common cause of a throat infection or sore throat (pharyngitis) is a viral infection, such as a cold or the flu. In Strep throat (streptococcal infection), the infection iscaused by bacteria and requires treatment with antibiotics to prevent complications.
SYMPTOMS OF THROAT INFECTION
Symptoms of athroat infection differ from person to person, depending on the cause of infection. Some of the most commonsymptoms of throat infection as explained by ENT Surgeons in Delhi include the following –
- Pain or a scratchy sensation in the throat.
- Pain that getsworse with swallowing.
- Difficulty in swallowing.
- Swollen glands in your neck or jaw.
- Swollen or red tonsils.
- White patches or pus on your tonsils.
- Hoarse or muffled voice.
Some ccommon infections that further lead to throat infection consist of thefollowing symptoms:
- Runny nose.
- Body aches.
- Nausea or vomiting.
Treatment Of Throat Infection
When to see a doctor
Plan your visit to ENT Doctor in Delhi, if your throat infection doesn’t go awayin few days or after trying basic home remedies. You should also be watchful of the following problems:
- Difficulty in swallowing.
- Difficulty in breathing.
- Difficulty in opening your mouth.
- Joint pain.
- Fever higher than 101 F (38.3 C).
- Blood in saliva or phlegm.
- Frequently recurring sore throats.
- A lump in your neck.
- Hoarseness lasting more than two weeks.
A throat infection or sore throat is caused by a viral infection that lasts five to seven days and does not require any medical treatment. But if the problem persists then you should consult an ENT Specialist.
Treating Bacterial Infections
If throat infection is caused by a bacterial infection,thenyour ENT Surgeon in Delhi will prescribe you antibiotics.You must take the full course of antibiotics as prescribed by him, even if the symptoms of throat infection are gone.Most throat infectionsare caused by viruses and can be treated successfully at home. Taking antibiotics in this situation is not needed.Antibiotics will not have any effect on a viral infection and your body’s natural defences will naturally clear this type of infection.
There are several remediesthat can be used at home for curing a throat infection. These remedies include-
- Gargling with warm saltwater (1 teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water) and then spitting it out.
- Drinking warm liquids (such as ginger,tulsitea, water with honey, or warm soup).
- If your child has throat infection, make sure you do not give lozenges to him/her as it may lead to a choking hazard.
- Using a humidifier to moisten dry air.
If the throat infection is caused by bacteria, it is important to drink plenty of fluids and to rest in order to prevent dehydrationand allow your body to properly recover from the infection.