Our nasal cavity is surrounded by a group of four air-filled spaces called sinuses, which are known to humidify and filter the air that we breathe in. And Sinusitis (also known as Sinus Infection) occurs when there is infection or inflammation in these structures. ENT Doctors in Delhi, who have performed several researches on this, confirm that Sinusitis has adverse effects on the quality of life. Therefore, seeking appropriate treatment at the right time becomes essential to protect yourself from the agonies of sinus infection.
Types of Sinusitis
Sinusitis is classified into the following categories–
- Acute Sinusitis
- Subacute Sinusitis
- Chronic Sinus Infection
- Infected Sinusitis
- Non-infectious Sinusitis
Common Signs & Symptoms of Sinusitis
The prominent and commonly observed signs and symptoms of sinusitis include –
- Having stuffy and deeply congested nose
- Headache that gets worse upon bending down or doing any strenuous activity
- Feeling of pressure and discomfort in the face
- Cloudy and thick discoloured discharge from the nose
- Lost or reduced sense of smell
- Sore throat with cough and fever
- Swelling in the face
Impact of Sinusitis on the Quality of Life
The noteworthyand log-lasting effects of sinusitis on the quality of life has been a subject of discussion and rigorous research by ENT specialists. They say that sinusitis has become one of the most common health problems in country currently and so the initial symptoms need to be taken seriously and managed thoroughly by the experts.
Following are some of the commonly observed impacts of sinusitis on the quality of life:
- Due to severe symptoms, you may end up lying in the bed for days and thus frequently miss going to work place.
- You may have lost interest in leisure activities and start leading a monotonous secluded life.
- It may also make you feel uncomfortable, lazy and irritated all the time.
- Frequent sinus infection also impacts the sex life.
- If left untreated, it can lead to other health related problems needing more severe intervention.
- Spending on over-the-counter drugs every time you are down with sinus infection may lead to burning a hole in your pocket.
Treatment for Sinusitis
If you want to get rid of the ill-effects of sinusitis and improve your quality of life in terms of better health conditions, we suggest you to consider the following points:
- Taking OTC drugs that are safe and recommended by experts,
- During the initial days of infection, you can use nasal decongestants as well. But these need not be used for more than a week, else the condition may get worse or result in some other health problem,
- Use of hot-pack therapy also helps in getting relief from sinus related pain.
- You can also regularly clean the inside of your nose by using saline solution. This solution can be prepared at home or bought from chemist shop as well.
- If the above remedies do not work and your sinus infection persists for a prolonged period and is getting worse then you can consult an ENT doctor in Delhi who will help you get relief through medical management or surgical intervention.