Ruptured Eardrum which is also known as Tympanic Membrane Perforation, medically as mentioned by doctors performing Cochlear and Hearing Implants in Delhi, is a tear or hole in the thin tissue that separates the ear canal from the middle ear or eardrum. If you see any discomfort or pain in your ear, then you should immediately consult the best ENT specialist in India for the treatment of the ear and prevention from hearing loss.
Symptoms Of Ruptured Eardrum
Following are some of the most common symptoms observed in patients with a ruptured eardrum :
- Ear pain
- Whistling sounds heard while sneezing or blowing your nose
- Decrease in hearing or hearing loss
- Ringing in the ear (tinnitus)
- Spinning sensation(vertigo)
- Middle ear Inflammation or infection.
Factors Responsible ForCausing a Ruptured Eardrum
Causes of a ruptured eardrum as suggested by the best ENT specialist in India are –
- Middle Ear infection (Otitis media)– In a middle ear infection fluid gets collected in your middle ear. Pressure from these fluids causes the eardrum to rupture.This type of eardrum rupture is commonly seen in children.
- Barotrauma or Pressure Changes– In Barotrauma pressure is exerted on your eardrum when the air pressure in your middle ear and the air pressure in the environment are out of balance. This pressure causes your eardrum to rupture. Barotrauma is associated with air pressure changes associated with air travel, scuba diving and a injury to ear.
- Loud sounds or blasts (acoustic trauma)– A loud sound as from an explosion,gunshot or fireworks, a powerful sound can cause tear in your eardrum.
- Foreign objects – Small objects such as a cotton bud or hairpin can tear the eardrum.
- Head Injury or Trauma– Severe injury such as skull fracture, may cause the damage to middle and inner ear structures of the ear, including your eardrum.If you get hit on the ear, have any injuries while playing sports, fall on your ear or get injured due to the car accident then you can have a ruptured eardrum.
Treatment For Ruptured Eardrum
A ruptured eardrum is diagnosed by otoscopy.However, your doctor may order some additional tests too.Treatment of eardrum rupture differs from person to person. Some people require no treatment, while others may require surgical treatment of the eardrum.
It may take many weeks(approximately two months) for a ruptured eardrum to heal and cure.
After diagnosing the symptoms the treatment for eardrum rupture as suggested by some doctors performing Cochlear and Hearing Implants in Delhi mainly consist of relieving pain and preventing infection in eardrum.
Mentioned below are some treatment options:
If your ear does not heal,then your doctor may suggest patching the eardrum. Patching consist of placing a medicated paper patch over the tear in the membrane. The patch helps the membrane to grow back as before.
Antibiotics are used for infections that might have led to your eardrum rupture. They also protect from developing new infections from the ruptured eardrum. The best ENT specialist in India may prescribe oral antibiotics or medicated eardrops for this condition.
In some cases, surgery may be suggested to patch the hole in the eardrum. A surgical repair of a ruptured eardrum is called tympanoplasty. In tympanoplasty, the doctor may recommend cochlear and hearing implants in Delhi. In this a tissue from other area of your body is taken and transplanted onto the hole in your eardrum.