Cochlear implant surgery is a common procedure done in people with hearing loss. The rehabilitation program is required to increase the effectiveness of cochlear implant surgery. After you have undergone cochlear implant surgery in India, you should opt for a rehabilitation program.
Cochlear Implant Rehabilitation
Cochlear implant surgery is an important surgical intervention in patients with sensorineural hearing loss. The procedure is done with a high success rate.
However, an important process that provides maximum benefit to the patient after cochlear implantation is rehabilitation. Various expert people are involved in the rehabilitation process. These include teachers, speech-language experts, and audiologists.
The patient is taught about how to hear with the implant and what are the ways to understand speech and talk. While informing about the benefits of a cochlear implant, about the surgery process, and other useful information, the surgeon should also discuss the importance of cochlear implant rehabilitation to maximize the efficacy of the implant.
Cochlear Implant Rehabilitation In Adults And Children
The cochlear implant rehabilitation process is equally important in both adults and children. Various resources are used during the rehabilitation process.
Patients and practice are important for getting used to the cochlear implant. During the rehabilitation process, various strategies are explained to the patient in case of adults and parents or caretakers in case of children.
Following are some of the guidelines followed during rehabilitation process:
- The customized rehabilitation program is designed for each patient to maximize his/her hearing potential.
- Adequate education, training, counseling, and training is provided to patients during rehabilitation.
- Interpersonal communication skills, relationship building, and environmental awareness are developed in the patient to facilitate his transition.
- The family is also involved during the rehabilitation program.
- Start with an easy process and move progressively to difficult measures.
The goal of the cochlear implant rehabilitation program is to empower patients and make them independent for their personal communication needs.
Various Resources Used In Cochlear Implant Rehabilitation
Cochlear implant rehabilitation program comprehensively analysis the need of the individual and based on the need, designs optimal rehabilitation program Various resources are used during rehabilitation program to improve hearing and speech skills. Some of these resources are:
Books: Books are generally read through audio and the patient focusses on the words of the book. This helps the patient in making a connection between what is heard and what he read. Books are generally available a tape, on websites and kindle.
Videos: Various videos are also provided to the patient to help them hear the sound. Further, videos may also be run on the topics that help the patients to know more about using a cochlear implant.
App: Various apps are available for speech, language, and hearing that help the person to improve hearing through a cochlear implant.
Website: Various websites are available that take the test of the person using a cochlear implant. Some of the websites are Soundscape, focus on English and English Listening.
Things to do at home: Various activities are recommended at home to improve hearing. This includes playing games with family members and involves in family communication as much as possible.
Tips For Reducing Communication Challenges After Cochlear Implantation
Following tips helps reducing communication challenges:
- Concentrate and pay attention to what is said.
- Anticipate the challenges and make a plan to overcome those challenges in hearing.
- Taking a break may help you refresh for next hearing.
- Repeat the words you have listened to helps improve hearing skills and avoid confusion.
- Do not pretend to hear if you have not heard. Stat honest.