Cochlear implant surgery is done to improve the hearing ability of people with severe hearing problems. The hearing loss may either be congenital or acquired. A comprehensive health analysis of the child is done before advising to undergo cochlear implant surgery. If you are planning a cochlear implant surgery in Delhi for your child, choose the hospital with quality treatment and adequate infrastructure.
Candidates For Cochlear Implant Surgery
Children who are not able to hear clear as compared to children with normal hearing are said to have a hearing loss. The normal hearing thresholds are 25 dB in each ear. Hearing loss may be mild, moderate, severe, or profound.
Children with the hard-to-hear condition have moderate to severe hear loss. The hearing in such children may be improved through various tools. Deaf children indicate children who have profound hearing loss. Such children usually use sign language for communication.
There are various causes of hearing loss. These may be divided into congenital and acquired.
Congenital hearing loss
- Genetic factors
- Low birth weight
- Use of medications contraindicated in pregnancy
- Infections during pregnancy
- Lack of oxygen during birth (birth asphyxia)
Acquired hearing loss
- Chronic ear infection
- Otitis media
- Head or ear injury
- Prolonged exposure to high noises
- Prolonged blockage of ear canals
- Use of medications that may result in ototoxicity such as aminoglycosides
The best candidate for cochlear implant surgery
The team of doctors, an expert in various specialties, decide about the child’s candidature to undergo cochlear implant surgery. The team includes ENT doctor, speech therapist, audiologist, and psychologist. The child may undergo various tests including a hearing test, speech evaluations, and MRI and CT scans to evaluate the health of the ear.
The child might not be a candidate for cochlear implant surgery if:
- The auditory nerve is absent or damaged
- Deafness exists from a very long time
- The problem in hearing is due to a reasonother than the cochlear abnormalities
How To Prepare Child for Cochlear Implant Surgery?
Undergoing surgery and recovering from the surgery is a stressful task and even more stressful for parents whose child has to undergo surgery. Following are some of the measures that you can try to prepare your child for surgery:
- Maintain a positive and healthy environment around your child.
- Take help from the psychologists for reducing the stress.
- Allow the child to play with a doctor’s mask and other things to get rid of the fear of hospital items.
- Encourage your child to ask any apprehension or to express any concern.
- Ask for help from other parents whose children have undergone cochlear implant surgery.
How To Take Care Of Child After Cochlear Implant Surgery?
Following are some of the steps to be taken for your child after cochlear implant surgery:
- Allow your child to stay in bed for the first few days after surgery. The body needs recovery from surgical stress.
- Strictly follow the instructions by the doctor and administer medications as scheduled.
- Removes the bandages 3 days after surgery or as directed by the doctor.
- Encourage your child to remain active through indoor games.
- Do not forget to visit the doctor as per the schedule.